21 March 2009

PC Upgrade

As mentioned previously, I've bought parts to upgrade my home PC two weeks ago, but it wasn't until last week that I've managed to get everything fixed up.

Much of the time was consumed in cleaning the dust loaded various parts of the chassis, but some time was also spent wondering what certain error messages meant (got stuck for quite some time with the IDE conduction cable). But it's all up and running now, a mixture of old and new parts.

The new components are:

AMD Athlon X2 2.7 GHz dual core (and a compatible motherboard)
ATI Radeon HD3850
4 GB DDR RAM
160 GB Seagate hard drive
Power unit

And I kept the CD drive, my old 120 GB hard drive and sound card.

This upgrade finally allowed me to clean up my old files and reinstall everything. Now I finally have Ubuntu running on my PC alongside with Windows XP, which is primarily used for games only.

No comments: