20 May 2009

A Scientifically Correct Game

One of the recent games I've played is Mass Effect, the infamous one that got banned in Singapore for a rather short while due to its sex scene between a human and an alien (which is one of the stupidest ban I've ever seen). But that aside, the game is quite awesome, with a solid storyline and creative gameplay. Different types of characters are quite amazingly balanced, but above all, it's one of those scientifically correct sci-fi game.

It is a game set in the future and it's very much set in an interstellar world. Of course, that being said, some leeway in terms of "creative technology" must be granted. But I think it can be considered one of those hard science fiction, where, other than a couple of technological and scientific assumptions, the science is quite justified.

The main scientific assumption of ME is, well, the phenomenon of mass effect, which is the ability to accelerate objects up to superluminal speeds. They managed to link it to dark energy, and it is apparent that the writers have at least some ideas of what they're talking about. And it's quite a surprise to see terms like L2 (Lagrange points) used... kind of like an easter egg for people who know what it means.

But then again, they made the usual error of hearing sound in space. Ah well, drama rules over science, I suppose.

No comments: