24 November 2006

First Post from Ubuntu

This is the first post written in Firefox 2, in Ubuntu 6.06. Ubuntu, a distribution of Linux that was originally part of Debian, was installed in my computer about two months back, but I hadn't really got about using and customising it until lately.

With the greatest barrier to Linux removed (i.e. the installation nightmare), Ubuntu is one of the Linux core I strongly recommend to anyone who don't want to spend hours trying to install Linux on their computers. It is available freely on the Web, or if you want, you can get the CD from me.

Although the default boot is Linux, I find myself favouring Ubuntu more. Apart from its slick, clean interface and multiple desktops, it is fast (lacking the dunno-what-program-in-the-background that is so typical in Windows) and it takes less than a minute to boot up (as compared to about three minutes for Windows XP). Installing/removing programs are easy too; it's just like the Add/Remove Program in Windows XP, except that it reaches out to the repositories on the Internet to get the programs you choose (in another words, instead of going to the Web and find the installer for the program and installing it manually, all I have to do in Ubuntu is to tick a checkbox and click OK).

I'll probably blog more about this later, when I have more time on my hands.

P.S.: Did I mention that Linux systems have the most amazing, yet simple screensavers?

No comments: