24 June 2007

Here and There: A Few Matters

Firstly, Canberra's weather has gotten yet colder again. Now, the average temperature hovers a few degrees Celsius above zero, with night temperatures hitting sub-zero. Frost can be seen on grass in the mornings.

And the Captain Cook Memorial Jet is in operation again. The jet is a feature in the lake, a fountain that shoots a fine mist of water up about 50 metres. The first time I went around the lake with Weiling, the jet was not turned on because the wind was way too strong. And subsequently, I had not seen it in operation until yesterday. Here's a shot of it:



What's great about the jet is that the water is shot up high in a fine mist, so, combined with the scale of the entire jet, the whole it looks as if fog or smoke is shot out. This short video should do it justice:



Also, a few days ago I went to Batemans Bay just to enjoy some bayside view. Unfortunately, the weather wasn't that nice, with an overbearing layer of cloud in the morning and rain for the rest. That's not really surprising, as the weather around the New South Wales region has been rainy, but it was disappointing; I was looking forward to a bayside walk. Anyway, that night a storm hit the NSW coast and resulted in a pretty good amount of rain.

And next up, I'll be heading for the city with that deadly shooting: Melbourne. Not sure what I can do there, but I suppose with such a big city, I can find something that fits me.

No comments: