02 July 2007

Cooking My Meals

In ANU, there are 8 halls and 1 residence. 4 of the halls are catered, while the others plus the residence are not. Initially, when applying for my accommodations, I chose the four catered halls because to cook every meal is simply too time consuming. If I don't cook, I'll either have to eat at the eateries in ANU (which, if memory serves me right, has only one cafe and one restaurant), or cycle out to the city centre to have my meals there (it is, by the way, not feasible to take the bus, since there's only one service running through the school and it has a frequency of one hour). Either way, it would be quite expensive, averaging out to about A$8 to A$10 every meal.

Of these catered halls, two are reputed for their good food (Yao is staying in one of them). The other two simply sucks. However, my application to those former two were rejected because one of them needs more females to balance out the sex ratio, while the other has no more rooms. Facing the option of supposedly mediocre food, I quickly changed my accommodation application.

Therefore, I will now be cooking most of the meals. It should be quite fine, actually, since ANU's timetable, as from what I've heard, is pretty loose, giving sufficient free time in between lectures. It is also a great "motivation" for me to sharpen my culinary skills. In fact, while backpacking around Australia, I stayed at the YHA hostels and cooked there as well, so at least I know I'm capable of basic stuff beyond instant noodles.

No comments: