03 August 2007

Lovely Spam! Wonderful Spam!



Of recent months I have noted an increase in spam into my NUS mail inbox. Usually, the spam filter by the NUS network will sift them out into the spam folder, but for some odd reason, it appears that my email has been receiving an extraordinary amount of spam than before, since the spam folder has more messages in them as well (yeah, I check the spam folder, but only glance at the titles).

Disturbingly, nearly all of the spam has something to do with the improvement of my (non-existent) sex life. From erectile dysfunction tablets to online pharmacies (no points for guessing correctly what they're selling), I think if they do really work and if I bought from every single one of them, I would've turned into a tripod.

This leads to two points. First, it is really hilarious someone would think that an email from an unknown sender selling some products is not a scam. What's more, the style of many of the emails are exact replicas, just that the senders vary. Second, even if the emails are credible, why on earth would I buy their product? Surely, a more reliable source of drugs would be from a doctor or, if privacy is valued, a reputable online pharmacy. The only time that I would probably be desperate enough to buy from them is when my He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named mutates into a broccoli.

The only likely possibility of the spammers getting any hits is when some curious Internet newbie clicks on it, or when someone accidentally clicking on some links in the email. Otherwise, I think the spammers can really do better than that. Come to think of it, I think if some spammers were to send a scam email promoting a new online scientific article website, it is of a higher chance that they can catch me. In any case, they could have written a more plausible ad for a scam.

This brings me to my last point. While I do not fanatically hide my email, I do not throw them into every email subscription box I come across. It does make me wonder, though I believe it far beyond my means to find out, how the spammers got hold of my email address in the first place.

P.S.: I'm glad I do not have Google Ads. Since they scan the post for keywords and publish related ads, I can hardly fathom what will surface...

P.P.S.: SPAM (the meat) is quite common here in Canberra. It's very much like luncheon meat but it's so salty that it could have been collected from the Dead Sea.

No comments: