06 January 2009

2009: International Year of Astronomy



And it wasn't too long ago in 2005 that we had the World Year of Physics. Heh, one when I'm entering my undergraduate life and one when I'm leaving.

But really, astronomy is one science that is hard to appreciate in Singapore and thus very often neglected. Singapore is way too bright to see the skies save for a few exceptionally bright stars and planets (and maybe a plane to increase the cosmic glitter). Even in "dark" places like Ubin, the place is still well lit by the reflection of city lights on clouds and smog.

The above picture is something taken when I was in Australia. I was at the Mount Stromlo Observatory, right smack in the middle of winter (the low temperature and wind chill is no joke). Up there, isolated from light pollution, the sky was filled with blips and dots... an incredible view beyond what one's imagination might paint. Pictures of course don't capture that majestic scene, as my photo above demonstrate (it was an 8-second exposure, mind you! - and don't ask me what that triangle thing is, I don't know).

So next time you head off to some place shielded from light pollution, take a look at the skies at night. It's a rewarding view.

No comments: