23 January 2009

Chek Jawa Attempts



I have been trying to organise a small trip to Chek Jawa lately. I do not mean a stroll on the broadwalk at any time of the day. The real gem of Chek Jawa is the natural habitat and wildlife there, and to really appreciate all that, ideally I need to go down onto the flats during low tides (< 0.5 m).

The last time I went to Chek Jawa was during the SPS camp trial run. It was a walk along the wooden planks over glittering water (but that was never the main focus of the camp anyway). Then I tried to organise one trip three weekends ago with a few other people, as the tides would be ideal then. That was when I found out that to get down to the flats we've gotta book a place on the guided tour (which is reasonable; they can't have everyone trampling over the delicate shores), and it was too late for us to do so.

So attempt #3: I announced amongst SPSians and get a handful who're interested, and then armed with the numbers I tried making a booking for one at the first week of February. Turns out that the tours have been fully booked for the entire quarter. The next available tour is 1st April (no joke), and the reason why it's still available is because the booking date starts only 1st March.

Yeah... I never knew Chek Jawa was so popular. I knew there was a time when Chek Jawa was the destination for everyone, a weekend family trip. Now things have quieten down, and I presumed that the trips won't be so rapidly filled. Hmm well, I suppose we'll still go (or whoever's still interested), but keep to the broadwalk. Well, it's an improvement from "looking at water from broadwalk" to "looking at exposed shore from broadwalk".

No comments: