After struggling with the PowerPC assigned to me for more than a week, I decided to give up on it. And when I say give up, I'm saying that my humble laptop can perform way better than the Mac OS X in that PowerPC in all respects that I need my desktop for.
Basically, I failed miserably in trying to dual-boot Linux on the PowerPC. Linux was installed but there was no way to boot it. Something to do with the bootable hard disk and stuff like that. But that's okay, because it's not essential for my tasks.
However, I needed MatLab and NCView as well, and I went mad trying to get them working on the PowerPC. For the former, the version that was supported for PowerPC was not available on the ANU MatLab website, so I had to hunt down the CD from the IT guys. And it was an old version which I suspect may not be compatible with the toolboxes that I need. For the latter, it just refuses to compile for no apparent reason.
So for a week I clashed with the desktop, and it was pretty much a draw: I got some stuff working but not all that I need. And a couple of days back, I brought my laptop and installed all that I need within one hour.
What can I say? Ubuntu rocks!
16 July 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment