Sometimes, it does seem quite incredible how fast the size of hard disks grow. 1 GB was quite a huge thing a decade ago, and now it's hitting 1 TB. It wasn't too long ago that people started collecting movies on their hard disks. I remember my first computer wasn't even big to hold a music collection!
Whenever I upgrade my computer or buy a new laptop, the size of the hard disk always seems amazing because of the great increase in space. And it was so when I got my current laptop, with ~ 500 GB split between Windows 7 and Ubuntu (on hindsight, I should not have left Windows so much space...). This is considering that I do not have a movie collection, and my music collection is rather small by most comparisons.
And that's when my simulation results come in. At ~ 40 GB a pop, it's grabbing my hard disk space like some super hungry monster. In fact, my hard disk looks puny now, being able to store at most 3 sets of simulation before I have to move them elsewhere. Fortunately, I only need them on my laptop to run some analysis scripts.
But still, 40 GB of data... Makes me wonder how people handled such simulations more than ten years ago when the code was first written.
06 August 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment