About a year ago, NUS decided to upgrade some really rotten LTs in Science, namely, LT26 and LT21. Well, now it's much better, but they have yet to fix one minor problem in LT21: it is a Faraday's Cage to handphones. That is to say, the handphone signal is shielded inside the room and there are no relay transmitter inside. Essentially, handphone signal is nil in LT21.
I have a lecture every Monday and Thursday morning in LT21. That means I'm out of contact with the rest of the Universe (in terms of microwave connection). But for the next few weeks I'm on ops manning. That means I have to be contactable at all times by my handphone.
...
Does that mean that, for the sake of my country, I cannot attend lecture? So perhaps I'll have to skip the lectures. It's not my fault or under my control. It's for the country. What if one day Singapore face some terrible crises and can't find me simply because I'm learning how to compute the errors in numerical simulations? No way! I shall have to skip lectures in the name of the country.
The fact that the lecturer is boring is irrelevant.
14 August 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





5 comments:
it's not as if you are going to RUSH out of the LT when you receive that fateful SMS? Staying in that cage for 2 extra hours isn't so critical i suppose.
But as long as I stay inside, I won't be in the mobile network, and if any SMS come in, I won't receive it. And if I recall correctly, if you don't respond to the first few SMSes, they'll start resorting to all sorts of measure such as making automated calls to home or things like that.
I would call the latter harrassment.
Some possible solutions:
1. Leave the door of the LT open. This will hopefully break the cage.
2. Attach D10 cable, cut to the correct length, to your phone. Tie the other end outside the LT.
3. Set handphone volume to the max. Sit near the door. Leave handpone outside.
1. Leave the door of the LT open. This will hopefully break the cage.
I don't think that'll work though. The door is too small as compared to the dimensions of the LT to allow for a sufficient penetration of the mobile signal.
2. Attach D10 cable, cut to the correct length, to your phone. Tie the other end outside the LT.
Wah! Too troublesome lah... I think sacrificing my lectures is easier.
3. Set handphone volume to the max. Sit near the door. Leave handpone outside.
Sweet! But one danger: if someone takes the handphone, then I've in an even deeper trouble. On the other hand, I wonder what happens if someone steals a handphone which SAF then starts spamming?
Post a Comment