11 November 2008

The Wonderful Thing About Hotmail

There are three primary web-based email services out there: Hotmail, Yahoo! Mail and GMail. I have an account in each, but the primary one I use is Hotmail, mainly because I started out with it first and couldn't bothered making the quantum jump to other accounts.

Certainly, there is motivation for me to make that jump, but the activation energy isn't high enough yet. There are many aspects I'm not satisfied with Hotmail, such as the slow speed and sanction of additional formatting features (e.g. colour changes to text) for Linux users. And then there's this strange issue whereby I just simply couldn't click on each individual message in my inbox from my home PC.

Then Hotmail made an upgrade recently. It sported a sleeker look (though I find it clunkier) and is slightly faster. Not bad. But to my horror...



That's right! Apparently, the place where you type the main body of your email message is greyed out. I still can send emails, just that there won't be a message. And I'm not alone in this. It appears that Hotmail is targeting Linux users.

Hello!!!??!?!?! WTF?!? Microsoft?!?

Yes, the enthalpy-of-email-change is over the activation energy now, and I'm gradually ditching my Hotmail account. I'll still check in occasionally (frequency will decrease with time though), but if you want more immediate response, please send your emails from now on to my GMail account: tornado.zone84@gmail.com. It's pretty much the same address except the change in domain and from the underscore ("_") to the dot (".")

And it's a good move anyway. Now, everything's much faster, cleaner, and fully functional even for Linux users! The 20 MB attachment limit is one neat surprise I never knew. I still need to get used to GMail's way of lumping reply-emails into one "conversation" though.

2 comments:

Dingfeng Quek said...

Every intelligent man deserves a gmail account. If you haven't, you should try the keyboard shortcuts too. Enable it, then jk x # (# is delete). One of my favourite sets.

Jackson Tan said...

Actually, I didn't quite like the shortcuts, so I suppose I'll give that a pass.

I'm a bit irritated by the lack of information of the file size of an email or a conversation.