22 December 2008

Here Comes the Grades... Again



Comic from Wellington Grey.


As usual, it almost slipped past my notice, but somehow I always remember the release of the results a few days before - or in this semester, just one day. In fact, at first I thought it has already been released anyway, since the S/U declaration starts tomorrow (I've got that marked on my calendar) and the results have to be released before that. But no, I think NUS understands the students: can't wait to S/U an ugly stain.

I found that as years go by, my concern for my grades, which is already pretty low from the start, drops further. A small part can probably be attributed to the fact that the CAP is harder to move now with past results influencing the average more. But a greater portion is due my increasing recognition that grades don't really matter ultimately. Yeah sure, a first class honours will probably fetch a marginally higher salary, but more depends on how I perform when I'm into the job.

So actually, if one really wants a good career, I think one ought not to focus so much on studies, but spend their time soaking up funky skills like entrepreneurship (but can you learn those, really?). But since I don't really care so much about how I earn, I thus spend those extra time hitting the books - not so much what my studies, but my projects and whatever else I find interesting.

It's the penultimate semester for me here at NUS; is my time well spent?

Ah, whatever. It's Christmas. Not that I celebrate it anyway, but I suppose I need to at least respect the Christmas-sy spirit of procrastination. I'll review that question when I finish the next semester.

No comments: